1. Nesting: If so, labor is on the way. First, have you heard of “nesting?” It’s when you get this surge of energy that makes you want to cook, clean, and reorganize your home. For some women, it’s a clue that baby day could be coming up soon.
2. Lightening: “Lightening” is the feeling that your baby has dropped lower into your pelvis. It means labor isn’t far off!
3. Bloody Discharge: If you notice brownish or red-colored mucus called discharge coming out of your vagina, it could mean your cervix is opening up.
4. Water Breaks: Your water could break before or during labor. It could feel like a big gush or a steady trickle. Sometimes it’s hard to tell whether it’s the real deal or just pee, so let your doctor know ASAP if you’re not sure. She may want to know what color the water was and what it smelled like.
5. Contractions: When you have contractions that gradually get stronger and closer together, that means the countdown to a baby is on! They’ll be so powerful that you won’t be able to walk or talk while you’re having them. And they won’t go away if you move around or change positions, either.
Exciting signs like these mean it’s time to call your doctor. She’ll let you know when to head to the hospital or birthing center to welcome your little one into the world.